1. On Wednesday, April 24th, we celebrated Administrative Assistants Day. Our Central #51 administrative assistants go above and beyond to help our district run smoothly and support our students day in and day out. Their commitment and support are appreciated by all of us, and we are lucky to work with such dedicated individuals.
2. The long-anticipated CPS Art Show took place from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 24th. The art show provided a wonderful opportunity for students to show off their hard work in art class this year. Miss Gleason has worked hard to build the art education program at Central Primary School, and students and families enjoyed the experience of getting to see their art hung in the building. A big thanks to Miss Gleason and all the volunteers who helped make the art show run smoothly.
3. Our Life Skills Classes and their Peer Buddies went on a field trip to the Glen Oak Zoo. The kids had a wonderful experience!
4. The CIS Jazz Band performed at the Peoria Riverfront on April 15, 2019 to Celebrate International Jazz Day. The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, International Jazz Day and the Herbie Hancock Institute of Jazz and The GMB Spring Celebration were all involved in celebrating Jazz Music.
5. It was announced Tuesday, April 23rd that Central District 51 will be awarded $200,000 as part of the Safe Routes to School Program. This will help fund new sidewalks, sidewalk gap closures, sidewalk curbs, sidewalk curb ramps, crossing improvements, new/upgraded signs, and bike racks. We appreciate this collaborative effort with the City of Washington to provide safe walking/biking routes for our students.