Please see the following updates from Mrs. Youngman on the 2019 Salvation Army Project and WHIP (Washington Helps It’s People). A big thanks to Mrs. Youngman for her time and commitment to these two projects!
In the month of December, Central adopted eighteen families in need through the Salvation Army. All grade levels participated to help these families.
The following list indicates how each grade level contributed:
• Kindergarten – toothbrushes and toothpaste
• 1st grade - kitchen gadgets (can openers, pot holders, spatulas, serving spoons, etc…)
• 2nd grade - bath towels, hand towels, washcloths, dish clothes, etc…
• 3rd grade – laundry soap/softener
• 4th grade – Cleaning supplies (bath, kitchen, etc…)
• 5th grade – toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soap, bath gel, lotions, etc…)
• 6th, 7th, and 8th grades – gifts for the children and parents to unwrap on Christmas morning.
This project has become a tradition at CIS and CPS and as always Central students/families showed their generosity by going above and beyond what was expected. In addition to the gifts and household goods, we supplied a $40 Kroger gift card to each family to help provide Christmas dinner. The Salvation Army is always so impressed with our school and all of the families are extremely thankful for our generosity!
Thank you to all of the students and families that made this project a success! The students had a great time and hopefully learned that giving can feel better than receiving.
Additionally, I would like to take this opportunity to update you on the success of our WHIP (Washington Helps Its People) program. Central has collected 1,407 items for WHIP.
WHIP asked to share the following with all of Central families:
We are open twice a month serving an average of 170 families each time. WHIP only serves people within the 61571 zip code. The food donated by Central families allows WHIP to use funds to purchase ground beef, cheese, fruit, and eggs. WHIP received fresh produce in the summer from the food pantry garden and local gardeners. WHIP is very thankful for the generous support of District 51.
As always, thank you for your continued support!