Is Your Child Too Sick for School?
Early in the morning it is often difficult to make a decision about whether or not your child is well enough to come to school or not. With minor symptoms, you often cannot tell whether they are going to get better or worse during the course of the day.
The main reasons for keeping your child home are:
- He is too sick to be comfortable at school.
- He might spread a contagious disease to other children.
As a rule of thumb a child should stay home if they have:
- A fever over 100.4 degrees
- A very frequent cough
- Persistent pain (ear, stomach, etc)
- A wide spread rash
- A red eye with yellow/white drainage or redness at eyelids
Most of these problems need to be discussed with your child’s physician to determine if an office visit is needed. Whenever there is a doubt in your mind about sending your child to school, consult your child’s physician before doing so. A phone consultation may be all that is necessary.