1. In late December our 3rd grade students did a writing exercise on compare and contrast. The topic for the unit was police dogs and service dogs. The 3rd grade teachers invited Jim and Susie Dunnan to bring their hunting dogs to each 3rd grade class on December 17th to compare and contrast the differences between an adult trained Labrador Retriever and a 10 month old Labrador Retriever in training. Training and retrieving techniques were discussed and demonstrated for the students. Students were also given the opportunity to interact with the Labrador Retrievers.
2. On Monday, January 14th at 1:00 p.m., our 2nd & 3rd graders had the opportunity to participate in an Author Skype Visit with Troy Cummings. The book that was discussed in the skype event was “The Notebook of Doom”. Mrs. Mann, Library Clerk, worked very hard to organize this event with Scholastic Book Fairs. The students really enjoyed the author skype visit experience. Special thanks to all families who participated in the Scholastic Book Fair, as the author skype event was made possible through the success of our local Book Fair in November.
3. In the month of December, CIS students made 800 Christmas cards. The student council delivered to Washington Christian Village and to Mohle Supportive Living. The attendees of both facilities were very thankful for thinking of them during the holidays.
4. January 14, 2019 CIS held its annual Geography Bee. Finishing in 3rd place was Elijah Moreno (8th), 2nd place was Coleson Coombs(6th), Our winner was Tommy Nemec (8th). Tommy won (in the tiebreaker round) by answering "What is the Norwegian term for a long, narrow sea inlet carved out by a glacier?" Answer: Fjord. Tommy will have a chance to go to the State Geography Bee in March.
5. Planning meetings continue for the upcoming construction project for the district. There have been numerous meetings with staff and BLDD architects to provide input as we all strive to best meet the needs of our students, families, staff and community. The district will be providing updates as construction and renovation plans solidify in the near future. We are still on target to move forward with construction in May.