Substitutes Needed!

Central 51 is always seeking substitutes to step in when our teachers and staff cannot be here. We know substitutes will be needed even more this school year. If you are interested in making a difference in the lives of children, please apply using the links on our employment page.

Pay Rates:

Substitute Teachers:  $120/day

Substitute Aides/Paraprofessionals:  $110/day

Substitute Bus Drivers (Regular Routes): $20/hour

Substitute Bus Drivers (Extracurricular Routes): $14/hour

Cafeteria Subs:  $11-11.75/hour (depends on position)

Substitute Teaching:

If you are interested in becoming a substitute teacher or aide at Central but do not currently hold a Professional Educators License or Substitute License, you can obtain a Substitute License if you have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.  If you have an associate’s degree or 60 college credit hours from a regionally accredited institution, you would need to apply for a short-term substitute license.  This type of license has certain restrictions.

To apply for a substitute or short term substitute license:

1. Create an account in the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS):

  • Go to
  • At the top where it says "System Quick Links", click on the dropdown arrow and choose "Educator Licensure Information System".
  • In the box labeled "Educator Access", click where it says "Login to your ELIS account".
  • Then click "Sign Up Now" on the left hand side.
  • Enter the information it asks for and then click continue. The login name you enter will need to be somewhat unique, or it will reject it. Click "Continue" again, and you should be in your account.

2. Bring in or mail an official transcript (in the original unopened envelope) to the Regional Office of Education (ROE #53) at 414 Court Street, Suite 100, Pekin, IL 61554. To be considered official, transcripts must be submitted in the sealed envelope from the college or university or be sent directly by the institution. Transcripts received that are not in a sealed envelope from the university or sent directly from the university will be considered unofficial and cannot be used for evaluation purposes. 

3. Once you have signed up for an account, and the ROE has your transcript, you may log in and choose “Apply for a Sub License” (or short-term sub license). 

4. A $50 fee will be assessed electronically when the application is submitted (please have a credit card available). A convenience charge of about $1.75 will be added before payment is finalized.

**If you sub for 10 full days or more within a one-year timeframe from the time your sub license is issued, you can apply for a refund of your application fee. 

5. Once the license is granted, it will say 'Issued' in your account. You must then register your license for Region 53 by logging into your ELIS account and clicking 'Registration' in the Action Center. Registering your license will cost approximately $51.75. 

6. To substitute as a freelance sub throughout our Mason/Tazewell/Woodford region, you must possess the “Substitute Authorization” letter from the Regional Office of Education. You get this letter by being fingerprinted in the ROE 53 office. Fingerprinting costs $57.00. You can call and schedule an appointment in advance at (309) 477-2290 or schedule your appointment online

7. Applicant is fingerprinted and results are faxed directly to the ROE office. It can take 10-14 days (or longer) to get the results of the criminal background check. 

8. Once the fingerprint results are received at the ROE, a substitute authorization form and the background check results will be mailed to the applicant. The applicant must provide the background check results to each school district so they can make a copy. 

9. The last step would be obtaining a physical or statement of good health issued from a physician. The physical must be from within 90 days of employment. 

Once these steps are complete, please complete the online application

The district will also need the following: 

  • The Substitute Authorization letter from the ROE along with the background check results
  • A copy of the employment physical 

If you have questions regarding the Central application process, please contact Heather Ford in the District Office at or (309) 444-3943 ext. 2405.