1. On Thursday, November 15 and Friday, November 16, our Central Primary students celebrated Donuts with Dads organized by PTO representatives, Katie Fink and Rebecca Lohse. Students and the special guys in their lives enjoyed donuts, milk, and coffee and then headed into the gym for a movie until the school day started. A huge thanks to our PTO and our teacher helpers who helped served donuts!
2. Tuesday, November 20, our kindergarten and third grade students traded their hot and cold lunches in for Thanksgiving feasts! Students enjoyed the opportunity to share a pre-Thanksgiving meal with their classmates and teachers! A big thanks goes out to our teachers who helped organize the feasts and our parents who helped by providing food and helping serve!
3. CIS has announced the Musical for the Spring! The CIS Drama Department will be performing Willy Wonka Jr. The students are excited about the show and begin auditions on December 6.
4. CIS will once again be participating in the Salvation Army project for families in need. This is the 15th year of the project! Some classrooms have adopted families, others support this great cause by bringing in money (applied to Kroger gift cards and gifts). The students enjoy learning about their family, shopping, buying, and wrapping gifts. The generosity of the Central students and their families is simply amazing!
5. At the November conferences, parents were invited to fill out a survey for a grant funded program called Safe Routes to School administered by IDOT. This program is intended to enable and encourage children, including those with disabilities, to make walking and biking a safer and more appealing transportation alternative. This encourages a healthy and active lifestyle from an early age. If successful, it would provide funding for the construction of 5’ wide sidewalks and a new crosswalk between Bobolink and Central Intermediate School. Thank you to all those who participated in the survey and to the City of Washington for reaching out to Central to partner with us in this grant.